Tuesday 13 September 2011

Change...

Everybody goes through a phase in life where change is imminent. I always thought I'd be stable and confident simply because I have always been satisfied with what I had. I hated change.

However this past month, everything has changed, am single now, i changed my phone (got the iPhone 4, amazing gadget), changed my hair colour, cut my hair, and got new clothes (all these wonderful, satisfying activities have left a big hole in my pocket)...

So why is change so difficult for some people to endure?

 Well in my case, its the fear of the unknown. I'm the kind of person who plans everything, from the time i get up (well i plan it but doesn't mean i get up on time la) to my life. Imagine just diving into the ocean, not knowing how to swim, not knowing if there will be someone there to save you or swim with you.

Another reason I believe, is self doubt. The 'What If" question is always playing at the back of my mind. Sitting on the high chair at the salon with brown dye on my head, I kept thinking over and over again, "What if I dont like it?", "What if it doesn't look professional?", "What if I look like a total estate?", "What if people stare at me?".. Crazy I know (because my sister kept telling me that) but its the same feeling you get when your sitting for a multiple choice exam and you don't know whether you have ticked the right answer. And if its the wrong one, you keep hitting your head!!!!

There are so many reasons for the fear of change. But recent times have taught me that, sometimes change is refreshing and welcome. We do not necessarily realise when it is time to let go, it could be your hair, your shoes, your favourite old t-shirt or even someone special but at the end of the day letting go and accepting change may be the best thing you can do for yourself.

There is always a reason for everything that happens. Hold on to that, believe and hope for the best. If it doesn't work your way, don't worry you will learn something new and the new experience will teach you to make a better choice next time.

'Change brings opportunity' - Nido Qubein 



The old me
The new me

No comments:

Post a Comment